"A sketchbook is a secret thing, a collection of unfinished and often times abandoned ideas never intended for public consumption—at least not in their current state. It’s a private space for honing one’s craft and workshopping, separating good ideas from those best left unexplored." -Brian Heater at The Daily Cross Hatch.

14 February 2010

Bosun's Mate: Pitching In

 

I think my art hiatus is over. Ater that last painting I just felt drained- and, my responsibilities at work have cranked up a little so there's no time to draw during the day (aw, boo-hoo, I know. I hear tiny violins playing, etc.) and when I get home I'm just bushed.

This was a sketch I did during the US Navy's humanitarian aid operation to Haiti. I know the Carl Vinson has left the area, but I don't know who's left on station, or what shape American aid is currently taking in a situation that by all accounts is worsening. Here's an interesting article on why foreign development aid to Haiti fails to do what it's supposed to. It was written well before the earthquake. It's from the the Nitze international affairs school at Johns Hopkins, so I consider it to be quality thinking on the matter.

This is an Aviation Bosun's Mate, clearing debris somewhere in Haiti. I tried to get a little more abstract with the figure this time. The crinkling on the paper was an unfortunate accident I caused while erasing...
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. I enjoy a lot your type of art, i will work one the theme of the sea in next weeks and your draws help a lot for sure, nice work !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your clean, bold lines!!!
    so strong, so sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to have you drawing again out here.

    Cheers,
    Velu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, you can feel the weight in his left arm, the stylization is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you MonkeyFist. Stylization has never come easy for me- it's almost as if my artistic sensibility kind of rebels against it. However, I've been attempting it more and more lately in an effort to loosen up my work.

    ReplyDelete