"A sketchbook is a secret thing, a collection of unfinished and often times abandoned ideas never intended for public consumption—at least not in their current state. It’s a private space for honing one’s craft and workshopping, separating good ideas from those best left unexplored." -Brian Heater at The Daily Cross Hatch.

01 April 2010

USS Olympia Destroyerman



I got some painting time in today. I need to block out more time to do paint- you know when you spend as much time cleaning your brushes as you do painting, something's gotta change.

So. Now that I had my underpainting done, I got into using some safflower oil to mix with the paint. I have to say I had some "happy accidents" and it's interesting stumbling through this learning process...but, I'm going to have to by a book or two because there's a lot to learn, obviously.

I didn't know what to do with the background- so in the middle of the night I thought, "Why don't you paint it in three stripes reflecting the current color scheme of the Oly?" That would be, red lead "red" (at the waterline), white (on the hull) and buff (on the upper parts of the architecture). After I did the red, I figured I'd hold it and let it sit before I add the buff stripe up top.

Long way to go on this baby, but I'm enjoying the process, frustrating as it is.

2 April, Update:

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. The progress is great to watch; the middle white stripe hit me really nicely, layered in between the top and the bottom colors. I look forward to seeing the finished product in the future.

    ReplyDelete